In need of some encouragement

David B. Stang stangdave at columbus.rr.com
Fri Sep 8 10:57:28 MDT 2006

Friends,
I'm feeling a little bit discouraged for two reasons.

First, I am really struggling with my aural temperament tuning. I
understand intellectually how it is supposed to fit together, how all
the intervals ought to beat, and so on. But I have been practicing at
home and at customers' homes for a few months now, and I still just
can't do it right. By "do it right" I mean get it close enough to pass
the RPT exam (I use my ETD to test myself). My main problem, I think,
is, I just can't always hear the beats. For instance, I can nearly
always hear the F3-A3 Major 3rd, and the F3-D4 6th. But I struggle to
hear the A3-C#4 and especially struggle to hear the C#4-F4. I can't
percieve those faster beats. And sometimes I can't hear the beating even
when it's supposed to be slow. Sometimes the 5ths and 4ths are loud and
clear; other times they are not there at all. Are my ears the problem?
Is it my brain?

Second, I am discouraged with my business. I could use some more
customers. I have gotten every kind of marketing advice imaginable -
that's not what I need. I am unhappy because I am kind of shy, and I
just don't do some of those assertive things that many business people
do. It doesn't come naturally for me to sell myself. (Like my friend Jon
Ralinovsky who was just e-ridiculed on this list, for simply posting the
link to the Cincinnati Seminar without tooting his own horn about the
good stuff he has lined up!) Maybe I don't have the right personality to
run my own business.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
Thanks

David B. Stang, 2/3-rds of the way toward RPT
Columbus, Ohio