Bridge Seating (was Re: Where to notch a bridge, & relative effects ????? (Advice sought)

Jonathan Finger pianotech at tollidee.com
Fri Sep 8 11:22:48 MDT 2006

> Hi,
> With all the discussion of seating the strings it seems that there is
> never
> much discussion of what over aggressive seating does to the sound.
> Since I
> do not know would someone please discribe the negative tonal effects?
> Joe Goss RPT

Well, we worked on a 7' Grotrian recently in which someone had seated
the strings a little too aggressively.  These strings were seated so
aggressively that they were buried in the bridge.  This is not a good
thing (I assume that when I support string seating it's obvious that
this isn't the desired result).  Not only does this ruin the
bridge/bridge cap - it changes the speaking length of the string and
consequently introduces some tonal issues that aren't fixable without
addressing the bridge.
We planed down the bridge, re-notched it, and put on a set of new
strings (along with some other action work).
This is a perfect example of someone hearing that they should seat
strings, and running out and trying it with their sledge hammer.  This
same piano had a delaminated pinblock due to pin setting without a jack
underneath.
This is where a list can be dangerous with "do this" or "don't do this"
being thrown around.  We get away from the holistic view of what we're
trying to accomplish, and get too focused on the micro view of a
particular aspect.  Techs should try things like string seating -
judiciously though.  Try something like this on one note - does it make
it better?  If so, try more.
It's not rocket science (and truth be told, even rocket science isn't
that difficult).
Just like voicing, or any other technique that is new to a technician -
try it out judiciously, with the end result in mind.  Experiment, though
not too aggressively, and see if you make a change for the better or
worse.  Keep your end goal constantly in mind, and through experience
you'll develop your own ideas about what works and what doesn't.
In the end, our goal is to make pianos sound, and perform better

Jonathan Finger RPT