In need of some encouragement

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Fri Sep 8 11:51:22 MDT 2006

 Hi David B.

I cant help you with your buisness personality, but as far as your
temperament woes are concerned I can offer you some encouragement.  It
takes time and for many some help in training to get to hear the beats.
And its not just the beating for test intervals in the temperament
area... lower bass tests are ofte times difficult as is the higher
treble.  And there is the problem of falseness that gets in ones way.
Just keep at it and you will prevail with time.

What ETD are you using.  I recommend that you have Tunelab along with
whatever else you use.  Tunelab  is particularly useful for training
your ear to zoom in on just how many beats per second any given partial
par are making.  Its easy to set up a temperament octave and follow
around with Tunelab visually affirming exactly how much difference in Hz
there is between any 4th or 5th at their lowest common partial. Once you
know ahead of time exactly what the beat rate is... it is easy to get
your ears to focus on that beating.

Keep at it, and dont let yourself get discouraged.

Cheers
RicB