Bridge Seating (was Re: Where to notch a bridge, & relative effects ????? (Advice sought)

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Fri Sep 8 14:47:27 MDT 2006

Hi Jonathan and list,

Just to add a note to this discussion.  I think one of the things that folks
like Ron N. are working so hard to overcome is years of doing things that we
think work, and really don't, or work, but through different means than
we've understood.

Example: Seating strings.  Ron N. (and please correct me here, Ron, if I
have made any egregious errors) has acknowledged the observed phenomena of a
note becoming more clear after "seating."  Many techs think, "great, job
done."  Ron's position on this is that when seating does seem to clean up a
note, it is quite likely, that you've simply moved the string down (into the
crushed notch edge), and TEMPORARILY cleaned up the note; that in a short
period of time that string will be "unseated" again.  So what we've
accomplished is getting it to sound OK until we leave the scene or shortly
thereafter, when the real problem is in the bridge cap.

I'm not taking sides here, but I think it is important to admit that this
particular situation does happen.  And, as such, it is a case where we think
we are doing the piano a favor, but, with the help of a scientific approach,
we can see it is not the case.

I think we should all be striving to avail ourselves of all pertinent
information, scientific, artistic, whatever, in our decision making and
learning, and be willing to accept (easily) that long held beliefs may not
be what we thought.  And, they may be.  But that doesn't mean we shouldn't
continue to question them.

Regards,
William R. Monroe