CP70 Action Removal

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 8 21:53:33 MDT 2006

Ron N asked: "It's been too many years (or not enough), and the brain cells
that used to know have apparently passed on. To pull the
action from a Yamaha CP-70, do you have to take the top
assembly off, or can it be done without loss of life or
fingers with the piano assembled?"

Ron,
It's quite a while since I've done one, as well. It so happens, I've got a Manual!<G> To be honest, I'd forgotten, but perusing the manual is says: "1. Unscrew the screws 1-4....Then the front panel, (Stretcher), will be removed. 2. Unscrew the action assembly screws 1-4, then 5-8, (action frame screws). The action assembly, then, will be removed."
As I see it, in the diagrams the action bracket screws for the two middle action brackets are remove first. Those are the "1-4" screws. Then the end bracket screws are removed, screws 5-8.
Also, they list the removal of the Power Source before taking out the action, so I'm assuming that is relavant. As I recall, the CP70 power source needs to be out of the way, whereas the CP70B, (the midi interfaceable one), doesn't. Or sumpin' like that. My brain cell can't remember the specifics of that part and the darn "manual", if you can call it that, doesn't either. (Please note the fractured English in the above quote and you'll get a feel for the "manual".<G>
Hlmmm? just found something amusing: They call the Ecsaine/Escaine, (which is pre-stickumed), "Tacky Tape"! hehe go figger.
(Darn, just hit an unknown key on my new 'puter and it did sumpin stupid...grrr) Any way, As I was saying before the 'puter BS, I think once you get the stretcher off, you'll be able to figger out what the action is anchored in with and where. I recall the supposed "Cheek Blocks" play a role.<G> BTW, this "manual" has very thorough scematics for all of the electronic thingees. If you run into a loggerhead, you're welcome to borrow the manual.
Best Regards,

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I