In need of some encouragement - another possibility

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 9 23:11:38 MDT 2006

At 10:47 AM 9/8/2006, "David B. Stang" <stangdave at columbus.rr.com> wrote:

>Friends,
>I'm feeling a little bit discouraged for two reasons.
>
>First, I am really struggling with my aural temperament tuning. I
>understand intellectually how it is supposed to fit together, how
>all the intervals ought to beat, and so on. But I have been
>practicing at home and at customers' homes for a few months now, and
>I still just can't do it right. By "do it right" I mean get it close
>enough to pass the RPT exam (I use my ETD to test myself). My main
>problem, I think, is, I just can't always hear the beats. For
>instance, I can nearly always hear the F3-A3 Major 3rd, and the
>F3-D4 6th. But I struggle to hear the A3-C#4 and especially struggle
>to hear the C#4-F4. I can't percieve those faster beats. And
>sometimes I can't hear the beating even when it's supposed to be
>slow. Sometimes the 5ths and 4ths are loud and clear; other times
>they are not there at all. Are my ears the problem? Is it my brain?

David,

One possibility that I have not yet seen mentioned is ear fatigue.
Your account of sometimes being able to hear the beats and at other
times not suggests this possibility. Ear fatigue affects novice
tuners much sooner than experienced ones - endurance is built up over time.

When listening intently to fairly loud sounds, your ear tends to shut
down after a while and refuses to process any more information. It's
a protective reaction. This is why when we were taught tuning at the
North Bennet Street School, we started with fairly short practice
sessions - about 10-15 minutes - and gradually lengthened them to
hours in the tuning booths. Apparently, as we gradually subject our
ears to ever lengthening periods of the "abuse" of listening intently
to test blows, they build up endurance and stop "shutting down".

Another feature of our training was extensive practice tuning unisons
and octaves for a long time, before attempting temperaments. This
developed both our sensitivity to beats and our "aural endurance" so
that by the time we were working on temperaments, we could actually
maintain our acute hearing ability long enough to tune a rudimentary
temperament. It takes beginners a long time to tune a temperament -
speed comes with practice. If your ear "shuts down" before you can
complete your temperament - you suddenly stop hearing those fifths
and fourths beats that were so clear before... I suspect that many
self-taught beginner tuners can avoid a lot of frustration with
temperament tuning if they have the patience to do sufficient unison
and octave practice before attempting temperaments. And with ETDs
supplying an adequate temperament on which to base octaves, this
should be fairly easy.

Anyway, next time you find yourself not hearing beats that you have
been able to hear before (like those of fourths or fifths) give your
ears a break. Do a repair, make up an invoice or a tuning report for
your customer (always a good way to project a more professional image
and build business). Or simply take a break - it's time well spent.

Israel Stein