Bridge Seating / food for thought

Frank Emerson pianoguru at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 10 01:33:41 MDT 2006

Hi Folks,

I have been a member of this list, off and on, over the years.  I offer the
following observations.

I expect that you are correct, in that if the front bridge pins has become
loose enough to shift its position, it will remain in the furthest position
that it can move, in the direction of reducing the side bearing,
approaching a straight line along the direction of the tension imposed upon
it.  However, I have observed that pressing the front bridge pin in the
direction of correcting the side bearing does, in many cases, reduce or
eliminate the false beat.  You cannot rule out that this condition is
significant in producing the false beat, in many cases.

After removing the strings for restringing, I have observed that there is
usually a very clear impression on the bridge where the strings have
slightly compressed the bridge cap, to clearing show the position of the
string on the bridge.  In a few cases, I have observed a fan-pattern on the
bridge.  At the back bridge pin, there is a clear single-position
impression of the string, but at the front bridge pin, there is a broader,
less distinct, impression from the string.  This suggests a side-to-side
movement of the string across the surface of the bridge.  Other respondents
have pointed out that there is a vertical and horizontal component to the
movement of the string.  In fact, it is a circular motion, constantly
changing from horizontal to vertical, and then from vertical to horizontal.
Returning to my observation of the fan pattern on the bridge, a simplistic
view of this would suggest that the down bearing would limit the vertical
string movement to terminating the vibrating length at the front edge of
the bridge, but with regard to the horizontal component of its movement,
the termination of its movement is the back bridge pin.   Factoring in the
fact that all of this occurs within a matter of mili-seconds, the
frictional factors, the degree of down bearing, etc., the effective
termination point, with respect to horizontal motion might be anywhere
along the distance from the front bridge pin to the back bridge pin.  The
distance from the front bridge pin to the back bridge pin may be as little
as 15mm, or as much as 25mm.  If the difference between the effective
vibrating length in the vertical component and the horizontal component
could be as little as 1mm, and as much as 25mm, this can easily account for
the false beat.

Frank Emerson
pianoguru at earthlink.net