Bridge Seating / food for thought

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Sun Sep 10 06:02:08 MDT 2006

List

    -------------
    Returning to my observation of the fan pattern on the bridge, a
    simplistic
    view of this would suggest that the down bearing would limit the
    vertical
    string movement to terminating the vibrating length at the front edge of
    the bridge, but with regard to the horizontal component of its movement,
    the termination of its movement is the back bridge pin.

    Frank Emerson

Hi Frank.

This idea would at least make sense with regard to numbers.  You can
actually arrive at the needed change in speaking length this way. There
need be no wobbly pin to account for the difference in length with all
the difficulties in reason that carries with it.  The only question that
would remain for me would be explaining why I find so many exceptions.
Having done a good deal of measuring now I find that its impossible to
statistically correlate the presence of negative downbearing at the
notch with false beating.

One other note.. to my knowledge, your description of the vertical and
horizontal components is correct. It might be good to keep in ones back
pocket that these components as separate entities only exist such as
vectors.

RicB