In need of some encouragement - proof

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner at msn.com
Sun Sep 10 14:17:56 MDT 2006

We spent six weeks one summer, studying with Jim Coleman at ASU in Tempe,
AZ.  Our friend, Antonio, who WAS ALREADY an RPT, went with us.

After the third week of daily unison tuning, Antonio started lamenting "I'm
afraid I've made a terrible mistake.  My business, wife and son are
languishing at home in California, while I am here tuning unisons!  I want
to learn how to do a better temperament!"  That week Jim switched him to
tuning ocatves.

In the middle of the fifth week, Antonio started lamenting, "my wife! my
son! my business! and I'm only tuning octaves!"

On Friday, Jim sent him up to the Steinway D with a printed out temperament
sequence.  When Antonio came downstairs, Jim went upstairs together with him
and with the Phoenix chapter master tuning exam and scored his temperament
on what turned out to be the exam piano.

Antonio achieved a CTE score!  He went home the next day.

In subsequent years he became the tuner for the Sacramento Symphony.

Diane Hofstetter