Bridge Seating (was Re: Where to notch a bridge, & relative effects ????? (Advice sought)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Sep 10 17:49:24 MDT 2006

> I'm coming in late here, but has anyone explained why the strings have come
> off the bridge surface and bear only on the bridge pin?  Ron N. has
> addressed hoe the string is moved up off the bridge by the swelling of the
> bridge-a humidity increase for sure.  How do the rest of the respondents
> explain this movement?
>
> Paul C

The strings haven't come off the bridge surface. The seasonal
swelling, in conjunction with the frictional resistance
between the string and pin has crushed the notch edge to
somewhere below the natural string path. The string is sitting
quite firmly on the rest of the bridge surface. Strings still
do not climb bridge pins in real life.

But yes, I would also like to hear what sort of magic makes
strings supposedly float up bridge pins.

Ron N