Sizing Key Mortises (was inconsistent rail pins)

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Mon Sep 11 19:37:01 MDT 2006

Hi Terry, List,

I use the Spurlock mortise sizing cauls every time.  I'm happy with the
results, but I have always questioned how they function.  To my
(oversimplified - at times) brain, I've always felt that pushing these cauls
into nice moist keys and then letting them dry was missing something.
Specifically, I would think that this would work well to size a moist key,
but that the caul would size the key mortise while wet, form fitting the
moist fibers.  Then, as the key dries, shrinkage would happen.  I would
further speculate that the more moist the keys, the looser the end result
would be.

Perhaps I'm missing the boat, here, and the end result is less for the
"exact" size of the caul, but for a consistent size on all the mortises,
very close to the caul size, which is then made up for with different
bushing cloth thicknesses.

Thoughts?

Regards,
William R. Monroe