music rack tray

William Morton wjmwjm at asisna.com
Tue Sep 12 10:34:47 MDT 2006

On 12, Sep 2006, , at 5:05, Brian Doepke wrote:

> Hello List,
>

> There is a church piano, baby grand, that has very shallow grooves
> in the tray of the music rack.  I imagine that the grooves are
> supposed to help keep the music from sliding off.
>

> These grooves are so shallow that they are almost useless.
>

> Besides cutting new grooves in the wood, what other options do you
> have so that the music rack can become more functional and music
> can stay on the piano?
>

> Thanks.
I had a similar problem with the music rack on a Rippen Grand.  The
rack base was smooth,
varnished wood, with no grooves or any impediment, and I was
constantly seeing music
slide off.

I went to a local plastics company and obtained a square rod (1/2" x
1/2") of Lucite (transparant--
looks like glass), just shorter than the width of the rack.  While
there I persuaded them to drill a
small hole in each end.  Took it home, attached it to the base of the
rack, and problem solved.
It even looks like it belongs there!