Bridge Seating (was Re: Where to notch a bridge, & relative effects ????? (Advice sought)

Joseph Alkana josephspiano at comcast.net
Tue Sep 12 18:01:39 MDT 2006

My two cent's worth:

When replacing a broken wire, have you ever examined the bridge area to see
where the new string resides after bringing it up to pitch? Dollars to
doughnuts the wire in the stagger area is away from the bridge cap. Why?
Just as in the case of new pianos (Someone mentioned Yamaha)  seemingly
exhibiting the wire-off-the bridge-syndrome, it has to do with the stiffness
of the wire going between two points that we call the stagger area (bridge
pins) and lack of basic preparation.

  It's no great mystery. If you were stringing with limp, totally flexible
material, the material (string) would flow around the stagger points (bridge
pins) and lie flat on the bridge and against the bridge pins. We've all had
older pianos that had the wire riding high on the bridge pin and has been
there since the piano was strung at the factory. Until the wire is forced
into compliance around the bridge pin, the wire will forever ride high and
produce the false beat we are so earnestly trying to eliminate. Of course,
by the time we observe this situation, the front of the bridge has been
compromised and the whole bridge has probably rolled, the soundboard is in
the process of pancaking out the other side, and the holes for the bridge
pins have cracks like the grand canyon, but hey, the original lack of prep
still shows as wire left high and rusty up on the bridge pin. Seating the
wire at this point will produce only temporary lessening of false beats
and/or stronger tone, and the symptoms will come back.

My take is that the wire on new pianos, however, may need to be seated. But
proceed cautiously. If the wire doesn't move visually, then that step in the
preparation process may have been done, and your ham-handed pounding of the
wire into the bridge cap is not gonna do a blasted thing except exacerbate
false beats, dent the bridge, torque the bridge pins and accelerate wear.

I encourage everyone to think sliding of the wire side-ways and kissing the
bridge pin rather than pounding the wire into the bridge cap. Use your
finger nail, drift, rod, screw driver or whatever, but  s l i d e  the wire,
please.

Joseph Alkana RPT