music rack tray

William Morton wjmwjm at asisna.com
Tue Sep 12 18:07:01 MDT 2006

On 12, Sep 2006, , at 14:39, Avery wrote:

> William,
>
> At 11:34 AM 9/12/2006, you wrote:
>
>> On 12, Sep 2006, , at 5:05, Brian Doepke wrote:
>> I had a similar problem with the music rack on a Rippen Grand.
>
> And that's the ONLY problem you had with that? :-D Sorry. I
> couldn't resist!

Sorry to disappoint, but in fact that is about the only problem I can
remember.
I bought it new about +- 25 years ago.  I have been very happy with
it since.
Sure, it isn't a Fazioli/Steinway/Bosendorfer, but it holds its tune
well, has a nice
crisp action, and has a pleasant mellow tome.   It has lasted all
these years with
relatively minor service.   The only 2 things I've had trouble with
were when the
movers (it has been moved 5 or 6 times) more or less destroyed the
music rack
(they paid to have it repaired but it came back a wierd green color),
and some
earlier problems many years ago with the pedal assembly which
required a lot
of adjustment to correct.   The only other thing is that when it is
moved, the
curved back won't work well on a piano board.  Rippen provided a
transport board with
brackets which screwed into the piano frame, and I still have the
brackets, but
a 10' 2x12 is hard to store, so over the years it has gone away.
Last time I
moved it I went out and got another board to put the brackets on.

In short, I think it is a neat piano and am happy with it.

Are the Rippens noted for problems?  Mine is the only one I've ever seen
so I have little experience with them other than this particular one.