"Quiet"??

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 12 20:40:02 MDT 2006

Dave asked: "Does anyone have a simple handout, maybe comical or whimsical, that you use to give new customers upon entering their home -- something that points out you can do a better job for tuning for them if lawnmovers, dishwashers, parrots, kids, TVs, washers, sweepers, other workersw, whatevers, are kept to a dull roar?

I sometimes tell noisy customers this but I confess to feeling a bit priggish when I do. But as you all know, you do a better job for them when it's QUIET.

I was thinking a simple, comical, colorful handout at the beginning of an appointment might do the trick. Anyone do this? Share?"

Dave,
I always give my clients The Piano.......book by Phillip Gurlick. It usually keeps them busy reading, so they aren't up to noisy mischief.<G> If that doesn't work, then I refer them to PAGE 10, Number 18....they read it and usually say: Oh, I hadn't thought of that! Then they go tell the yard service to take a hike or.....whatever. If that doesn't work, then I have an olde 60's Mad Comics Post Card with a picture of Alfred E. Newman shouting so loud that his glottis is vibrating and the forceful sound lines project out of his mouth, expanding to a very large QUIET!!!!!!!!<G> IF that doesn't work I either suffer in silence or walk out, depending on the urgency of my pocket book and the tuning situation.<G>
Regards,

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I