Bridge Seating (was Re: Where to notch a bridge, & relative effects ????? (Advice sought)

Joseph Alkana josephspiano at comcast.net
Tue Sep 12 22:01:14 MDT 2006

Never measured, Ron, just using my eyes. But I certainly have sat in classes
on dealer piano prep where the representatives of several manufacturers
advise checking to see that the wire is making solid contact with the bridge
and pin as a very early step in the prep sequence. The amount of contact I'm
talking about would be the difference between just barely touching, and a
solid contact with pin and bridge. Much like a violinist or any string
player that uses a light touch to produce a harmonic vs. a solid contact to
define a pitch. Might be a poor analogy but the best I can think of at the
moment. In either case, a feeler gage would be useless. However, I have seen
many new pianos with the wire well up on the bridge pin and no contact with
the bridge and I don't need a feeler gage to ascertain this. Poor stringing
techniques probably employed at the factory, or intentionally left as is
assuming adequate dealer prep down the line. Sorry, I just don't buy the
idea of the wire magically seating itself tight each and every time you
string a wire. Wire high on the bridge pin of newly strung pianos is a fact
as far as I'm concerned, based on observation, and by listening to the tone
produced before and after seating.

Wire riding high on bridge pins in old pianos is probably a whole other
subject as I tried to say in my first message.

Interesting thought: We could observe a nut bottoming out as a structure is
brought into assembly. In fact there might not be any measurable gap between
the parts. However, another type of control can be employed, such as using a
torque wrench to produce a defined tightness. In piano work, the "tightness"
to be achieved seems best checked using one's ears. Weak or no positive
contact yields poor or ill-defined tone. Somewhere in all of this I hope
there is some place for artistry and craftsmanship in the approach to piano
preparation.

Joseph Alkana RPT