"Quiet"?? (or NOT)

Dtalcott at cs.com Dtalcott at cs.com
Thu Sep 14 04:00:28 MDT 2006

Your comment "I could really do a better job..." starled me into remembering
an almost identical situation when I was doing a live broadcast of rock band.
I was engineering (mixing) and like to run the monitors pretty loud,
depending
on the material and performer(s). When I took initial levels before the
broadcast
they were all "in the green with an occasional flicker of "overload" red
lights.
During the show several members csme into the control room to hear the show,
I thought, but they were just going to chat, it seems. This was an hour show,
and going very well. The band really got enthusiastic -- and louder. And of
course
my buddies were shouting at each other over the monitors. Over all this roar
I finally shouted, "will you shut the F*** up! I can't hear anything!" Which
was
sort of true, since hearing their voices really distracted from mixing the
music.
Incidentally, I myself got into the enthusiasm along with the band, since
almost
all of the 26 channels or so I was using were flashing red "overload" ights
at the end of the show!

Cheers,
Dave Talcott