BAD, BADD, PIANO

RptBob1 at aol.com RptBob1 at aol.com
Thu Sep 14 12:08:37 MDT 2006

In a message dated 9/14/2006 1:55:29 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca writes:

Your problem was that you tried to tune it, knowing  the pins were loose.
Word of mouth is the best advertising, but it is a  two edged sword, it can
work against you as well. Bad publicity can hurt  you.
I would suggest that you either give him his money  back, and chalk it up to
experience, or agree to tune it again, but only after  you treat the pinblock
with C/A. You can charge enough for the C/A  application, to partially pay for
the additional tuning.
Next time, if you think the tuning is bad, don't  charge.
John M. Ross

No good deed goes unpunished. I would NEVER give him even a penny  back.

You should have asked questions in advance of going out.  Like:   how long
since last tuning, are all parts working: ask him to play you a few  dozen notes
OVER THE PHONE so you can hear the results of loose tuning  pins.

Then make one of two decisions: ask him to find someone else because this
piano doesn't sound tunable/workable. OR : tell him in advance that this is a
non-guaranteed tuning because of the condition of the piano you can clearly
hear  over the phone.  If he still wants you to travel 25 miles, it is a tuning
WITHOUT WARRANTY.  And then put that in writing on the invoice having him
sign it.  Be sure to get mileage/distance charge clear to him IN  ADVANCE.

I'll bet he has already thrown out all the TV sets he owned over 25 years
ago.  But pianos are supposed to last forever.  Good for you to try to  educate
him.

I personally would have never gone out on that call.

Sincerely,

Bob Bergantino, Willoughby Hills, Ohio