A trick that helps with learning Aural tuning

David B. Stang stangdave at columbus.rr.com
Thu Sep 14 18:21:54 MDT 2006

Friends,
A couple of weeks ago I posted a note about how I have been having troubles
hearing the beats while aurally tuning temperaments.   Well, here's
something
that helps me in my practicing:
I strip-mute the piano as I would normally, then place small pieces of
felt between
the right and center strings at the nodal points of the partials I'm
trying to listen for.
For instance, suppose I want to practice listening to a Major 3rd.  The
coincident
partials are at the 5th partial of the lower note and the 4th partial
of  the upper note.
So I stick my little pieces of felt at 1/5 (or 2/5) along the distance
of the lower string,
that is, a nodal point of the 5th partial; and at 1/4 along the distance
of the upper
string. (see attached photo). Then when I play the interval the partials
really ring out
and the beats can be heard clearly. (It's easy to find these nodal
points simply by
running your finger along the string as you play it.) It's also
interesting to play the notes
individually to listen for the slight difference in pitch between the two.
Hope this helps anyone in the same boat as me.  And thanks to all who
responded to
my previous post.
Dave

David B. Stang,  2/3 of the way toward RPT
Columbus OH