Temperaments

Jason Kanter jkanter at rollingball.com
Sun Sep 17 21:42:30 MDT 2006

Julia, since this question has occurred to you, it will be well worth devoting some of your curiosity to exploring this site: http://www.rollingball.com/TemperamentsFrames.htm
(my own work, stimulated originally by Ed Foote)

I agree with Ed's moderate response -- it's personal taste -- but I find that a mild well temperament is very pleasing for any kind of music. The milder major third in the "white" keys is a sound that we just do not hear very much, and it tastes good. Try something from the group on my website called "Victorian Well", or one of the mild "modern well" temperaments like Wendell's "Tweaked Synchronous Victorian" -- which I just put on a Stwy B for a very talented (and delighted) pianist who plays a lot of Beethoven and Chopin.

Jason