Temperaments addendum

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Mon Sep 18 08:04:42 MDT 2006

Julia writes:

<< TO add another aspect of the temperaments question: Converesely, if
I play jazz, say Herbie Nichols,  in the same temperament that Beethoven
played on will it sound wierd? <<

       A lot of what we hear is the result of the pianist, regardless of
temperament.  A highly tempered interval can be used harshly or expressively,
depending on how the pianist plays it.  I have several jazz musicians that prefer
a Victorian era tuning like the Broadwood's, and one that love a Young.  They
have learned how to use the harmonic "palette" to their desired ends.

>>Does modern music sound worse in an old temperament? Wouldn't the playing
in
different keys sound "wrong" or uneven? or would it be incosequential?>>

    In the main, it appears to be inconsequential.  The more pertinent
question I would ask is, "Does a mild well-temperament do more damage to modern
music than ET does to Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Brahms, etal?"   In side by
side comparisons I have been involved with or observed, the ET tuning is
rarely favored.  I just don't think our organic nature so easily embraces the
mathematical result. Once again, this is a subjective thing, so there is no right
or wrong "taste" involved.  I rarely have anyone want to go back to ET after
becoming familiar with the alternative.  (But I bet I have lost a customer or
two, but don't we all?)
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT