hammer travel

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 18 22:54:40 MDT 2006

A few days ago I had an interesting experience with a Baldwin D Concert Grand.   New Ronsen Wurzens and shanks/flanges(not sure what the brand was).  I had noticed lately that the hammers were traveling towards the bass, i.e. depress the key and the space on the bass side of the moving hammer and its neighbor was compressing.   I went through and started at the first tenor burning it in.  That is heating the shank with an Ungar heat gun and twisting the hammer towards the direction of compression or in the instance the bass.   I then spaced the hammer back between its neighbors and check it again.   When it was right, I immediately noticed the tone of the hammer was blooming...opening up...I did have to fit the hammer to the string which fixed some buzzing sounds.   I was really able to hear this difference because I still had an original hammer one note up.

This is a really important part of hanging hammers.   Travel the shanks first, hang the hammers, then travel the hammers with a heat gun.   Yamaha Concert Services said the same thing...big part of voicing the hammers...

There are a number of hammer hanging articles PTG sells in a combilation, for instance Cliff Gears and Steve Brady which expond on this...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA 94044