hammer travel

Overs Pianos sec at overspianos.com.au
Tue Sep 19 08:33:34 MDT 2006

David, Terry et al,

The burning angle, and the overall hammer alignment procedure is
indeed a fundamental step in getting the best tone from an
instrument. To answer your post briefly Terry, a hammer might look to
be vertically aligned, but if the center pin axis is not parallel to
the hammer rail,  the hammer will slew sideways as it lifts. The
solution is to cast the hammer so that it travels such that the tail
of the hammer passes directly through the rest position of the hammer
striking point. The flange is then packed to achieve a vertical lift
of the hammer. When a hammer set is correctly aligned, both the
hammer striking points and the hammer tails will be evenly spaced,
without any hammer burning angle problems.

When hanging hammers, it is always best to remove as much travel as
possible from the shanks prior to hanging the hammers. This greatly
reduces the amount of casting which is required to correct the
burning angle once the hammers are hung. After gluing each hammer I
check the burning angle for each hammer with itself, before the glue
is set. Sometimes I'll find a shank which wasn't travelled correctly
prior to hanging. If this is the case I will adjust the hammer angle
on the offending shank so its burning angle is correct. This will
place the hammer angle out some, relative to the rest of the set, but
once the flange is packed (the next day) to bring the hammer back to
a vertical position both the burning angle and the travel will be
correct. If I had positioned the hammer so it was vertically
positioned while the shank had a burning angle problem, I would have
to cast the hammer and pack the flange later anyhow. The overall
process of hammer alignment and burning angle reduction involves all
three adjustments, shank casting, flange packing and hammer position
shifting (to treble or bass) being made together. Experience and
perseverance will result in the technician developing the skill set
required to achieve a properly aligned hammer set. It is one of the
most difficult tasks in regulating. Since only a small percentage of
techs seem to get totally on top of the skill, this is one subject
which could well be taught at conventions to good effect. Our
performance as a discipline would be considerably enhanced if a
greater percentage of our number got on top of this difficult task.

Regards,
Ron O.

>Maybe I'm missing something here - and maybe I'm just going to show
>off some of my ignorance - hanging hammers is not my expertise - but
>how will bending the shank affect hammer travel? Seems to me if a
>hammer travel has a horizontal component (you don't want any - all
>movement should be vertical) during its travel through its arc, the
>solution is to travel the hammer/shank/flange by inserting the
>appropriate thickness of traveling paper under the flange (in this
>case on the bass side of the flange screw). If you bend the shank,
>yes you can move the hammer over one way or another, but it will
>still have a horizontal travel component.

You thoughts are correct, but both adjustments, packing and casting
will need to be done together, as mentioned in the first part of this
post.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers