hammer travel

Frank Emerson pianoguru at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 19 11:19:48 MDT 2006

I can't speak for Steinway, but many other top-notch manufacturers design
the action scale to be different from the strike point scale.  I described
this in my previous post.  In the case of a piano that is designed to have
a left to right tilt in the hammer, to optimize the spacing between the
hammers as one rises between its neighbors, if new hammers have been
replaced perfectly plumb, without this left to right tilt, a new problem is
created.  Under these circumstances, the hammers will have to be forced out
of alignment with the whippen in order to get the hammer centered under the
string.  If this is the case, it is not an error in the design or
construction of the piano, but an error in the installation of the new
hammers.

Frank Emerson
pianoguru at earthlink.net