pricing

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Tue Sep 19 12:36:51 MDT 2006

<<   I'm thinking about pricing tunings based not only by pitch
adjustment,but also by piano type and age.

  Spinets and pianos older than 20yrs, highest fee, nicer pianos less etc.

  With more pianos and limited time, I would rather tune pianos that I could
get better results with and less headaches.

  Any thoughts? >>

Greetings,
  I am thinking you might do better with a completely flexible policy.  If
asked your price, you can simply say it varies with the job.  That way,
everybody pays a slightly different price, and you always get paid what you think you
are worth. People do talk to one another, and a difference of price will raise
eyebrows.  You better be sure you can make it worthwhile.
   On the other hand,  with "more pianos and limited time",  why would you
want to tune anything BUT your highest dollar work?  If you have more than you
can do, you are not charging enough, regardless of how you divvy it up.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT