bass string problem

Michael Spalding spalding48 at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 22 21:59:29 MDT 2006

David,

Aluminum, not nickel.   Aluminum wound strings behave differently than copper wound, because the aluminum is less dense than copper.  I'm told they did it because, on paper at least, it allowed better blending of tension, inharmonicity, and loudness/power at the break.  In reality, how smooth does that break sound to you??  Anyway, because the aluminum is way less dense than copper, a copper wound string of the same diameter would be heavier, thus require higher tension to reach the same pitch.  That's why your same-size copper universal broke.  To find a copper universal that would pull up to the same tension as the original, you'd have to run the numbers, but it would be about half to 2/3 the diameter of the aluminum original.   I'm guessing you'd hear the difference and you wouldn't like it.  Ordering a (aluminum wound) replacement was the right solution.

  Mike