key lead hole filler

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Sep 23 03:58:22 MDT 2006

Yup, pretty much exactly. I've taken a scrap of flat wood, and clamp it to a keystick with spring clamps. I place a piece of plastic between the key and wood so the scrap doesn't get bonded to the key. Then simply fill the hole from the other side and level with a stick of some sort for a sanding-free hole-filling job. Done with care, no sanding is necessary. However, overfilling slightly and sanding flat makes for a more visually attractive repair IMHO, but it's more work, and who the heck is going to see it? I figure if you are trying to make it look pretty, then just cut some spruce plugs and go that route - nothing looks better than a chisel-cut flush spruce plug.

One other thought. Sometimes you will get a tiny bit of squeeze-through on the plastic/wood-scrap side of the keystick (if the scrap wasn't clamped perfectly to the keystick. I've thought that next time I do this task that I would tape over the one side of the keystick with wide masking tape and then clamp a scrap of wood to that side - just thinking that the masking tape sticking to the keystick would better prevent any epoxy from oozing out around the perimeter of the hole on that side - again, mostly a visual thing. Will the epoxy bond to the sticky masking tape? I guess a little experimentation is in order first!

Terry Farrell