bass string problem

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Sep 23 21:20:29 MDT 2006

At 2:32 pm +1000 23/9/06, Overs Pianos wrote:

>Before you get a new string made, it would be worth having a look at
>the original design on a scaling spreadsheet. Post up the speaking
>length, cover diameter and the note number on the piano. We can look
>at the tension to see if it is getting up near critical levels.
>Quite a few of us on the list have spreadsheets in which we can drop
>the numbers to see what is going on.

A few years ago I produced a web form where you can calculate bass
strings.  You will find it here:

<http://ccgi.pianomaker.plus.com/cgi-bin/stringcalc.pl>

The script needs some refinement and at the moment I haven't the time
to perfect it, but it gives pretty accurate results.

The table below gives the tension in pounds for each wire number that
it is unwise to exceed in the design of wound strings.

12.5 => 129
13.5 => 144
14.5 => 160
15.5 => 175