Zing went the strings.....

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 25 11:01:13 MDT 2006

The Other Joe G. asked: "
Hi all,
Today I was given my winters work, a 1921 H C Bay grand.
A local tech delivered it in pieces, totally dismantled.
All the parts seem to be there, but the kicker is that there are new bass
strings from Schaff,
but no record was made of the plain wire.
Could one extrapolate the plain wire sizes from the bass
strings by measuring them and running the string lengths of the unwound
strings?
How should I procede?"

Joe,
That would be assuming that the "new bass strings" are correct. I doubt it. The first thing I'd do, would be to check the plate for possible wire sizes imprinted. Then I'd put the plate back in, bolt it down and take all of the string measurements. (I can send you a form for this, if you'd like) Next, I'd get busy with Scale Master and calc out an "original scale". Graph it and determine where the problems may be. Rescale and voila'. If you don't want to do all that, then it'll be a crap shoot, IMO. BTW, I thought you attended my class on Scale Evalutation???? I can help, if you want.<G>

Best Regards,
Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I