action reg puzzler on M & H BB

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Mon Sep 25 14:05:14 MDT 2006

Ok.. I am not quite sure I get your drift here... you say that if you
play hard then the

    "hammer will get caught on it's way /back up/ by the back check"

Do you mean that after some number of continuous problem free hard blows
the hammer suddenly gets hung up on the back check on a new hard blow ?
As in you can suddenly feel your finger jam on the key cuz the jack is
pushing up on a hammer tail that suddenly has become jammed in the back
check ?

If so... thats very strange indeed.

RicB

List -

I am having a puzzling problem with a M & H BB grand action that I have
never encountered.  Complete regulation (w/new shanks& hammers),
everything works great with the exception of 3 notes - F6, A#6, G7 -  in
the high treble.  I cannot get this to happen on the bench, and even in
the piano when the notes are played softly, even in a trill, they
perform perfectly.  However, under continuous mf - ff blows, as in
tuning, after anywhere from 1 to 10 strikes (letting the key all the way
up), the hammer will get caught on it's way back up by the back check,
thereby not allowing it to strike.

  Mark Potter