Lost motion: (was puzzler on M & H BB

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Mon Sep 25 14:02:25 MDT 2006

 JD  writes:

<< Have you got the proper lost motion at the fly?  In other words does

the cradle support the hammer very slightly above the jack?  This

lost motion should be barely perceptible when you tap the key

lightly, but you must have lost motion so that the fly can return

under the roller without impediment. >>

Greetings,
   I have to respectfully disagree with this.  Grand piano actions work
wonderfully with no lost motion, at all.  If there is any lost motion, there will
never be a straight hammer line as well as accelerated wear of the knuckle(
from the impact of the jack hitting it rather than pushing it to start.
    We were taught at North Bennett to set the balancier so that we could
feel the jack scraping, ever so slightly, across the leather of the knuckle when
the hammer was at rest, and I have never had a problem with this causing loss
of repetition.
   Uprights are a different matter.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT