Lost motion: (was puzzler on M & H BB

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Mon Sep 25 15:53:08 MDT 2006

Yep... thats what they teach at the Academy as well... but thats kind of
taking for granted that the knuckles are in brand new or nearly so
condition.  Doing this for new instruments will result in the same drag
(or very close to it) that you get doing it the other way.  In the
end... the jack has to slide back under the knuckle easily and
quickly.... and with as little lost motion as is possible.  No matter
which way you goes abouts it.

Cheers
RicB

That's the way I was taught but Yamaha teaches another way which I'm
using.   Lay a piece of paper on a table and run you finger against the
edge.    That is the feel you are looking for between the jack and the
rep window.    In other words a hair below level.   I have no problem
with hammer lever with that method.   Obviously you have to have
adequate rep tension.    When using the "scrapping" method the jack does
need to be able to get back to rest....imho

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044