Setting historic temperaments question

KeyKat88 at aol.com KeyKat88 at aol.com
Mon Sep 25 23:28:19 MDT 2006

Greetings,

       In tuning E.T., I always start tuning by setting F3 to F4 octave as
temperament. On each piano the F3 to A3,  7 BPS,  is different some pianos
require "faster" 7 BPS some "slower" 7BPS. Now if this is true that different
pianos require different beats for setting the temperaments, then I presume the
same is true for setting historic temperaments.

       When I tune historic temperaments I think it better to start by
setting middle C as the starting point. Following the Rollingball chart for the
Valotti temperament, I cant seem to get the temperament to work out. THis is
because of the inharmonicity of the scale design of my U3, right? I tuned my 1903
Becker Brothers upright to Valotti no sweat.  Now,  I am trying to tune my
Yamaha U3 to the Valotti and cant seem to get it to work out properly. Things are
not beating the way they should, when I am done following the chart. What am I
missing? How can I get the temperament to work?

Thanks
Julia Gottshall
Reading, PA