bass string problem

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Tue Sep 26 02:55:01 MDT 2006

Re: bass string problem
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
[mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org]On Behalf Of Leslie Bartlett
  Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2006 6:46 AM
  To: 'Pianotech List'
  Subject: RE: bass string problem

  Before you get a new string made, it would be worth having a
look at the original design on a scaling spreadsheet. Post up
the speaking length, cover diameter and the note number on the
piano. We can look at the tension to see if it is getting up
near critical levels. Quite a few of us on the list have
spreadsheets in which we can drop the numbers to see what is
going on.

                  Well quite a few.......... of you know some
stuff about scaling.  I am really ignorant.   Will a scaling
program also provide some information about "how to think" about
scales, what and why they are, so that persons with no
experience can understand something about the whole thing?   I'd
like to know enough not to be stupid, but haven't a clue about
how one goes to learning such things. If there are scaling
programs which help along that way, I'd sure like to know about
them.  thanks. les bartlett

Date: 09/22/2006

  OK, the core wire diameter is .0365", the overall diameter
with aluminum wrap is .070", the speaking length is about 32
1/4", maybe 32 3/8" -- can't tell exactly because it's out of
the piano and the bridge pins didn't leave very discernible
bends.  It's the right-hand string of a 2-string unison on F#3
(note number 34).

  Thanks in advance for any info.  --David Nereson