Call for scaling spreadsheets

Jason Kanter jkanter at rollingball.com
Tue Sep 26 15:49:21 MDT 2006

List
If any of you have and are willing to share your scaling spreadsheets - please send to me. In response to Ric Brekne's recent suggestion, I am offering to use my Excel skills to take a crack at making a nice, user-friendly, efficient graphing spreadsheet that we can all use to improve our study and understanding of this area of the craft. I will compile the best ideas and hopefully come up with something really useful.

I don't presently know much about scaling, but I do know Excel and have access to the "Calculating Technician" Journal series where a lot of this was discussed.

What do you measure, and what formulas do you apply, and what are the dependencies, constraints and limits? The parameters suggested by Ric include:

  Inputs:
  Diameters
  lengths
  type of string material?

  Outputs:
  inharmonicity
  tension
  breaking point %
  frequency.

  For bass strings:
  how do you deal with wrapping?

And since we will no doubt be looking to improve scaling, what kinds of what-ifs would you like to automate?

I am proposing this as a volunteer project, the output to be freely available. Maybe that idea creates difficulties since it might "compete" with commercially available programs. If that's an issue, let me know and we'll think about it.

Jason