late night at Rochester

Richard Moody remoody at midstatesd.net
Wed Sep 27 00:21:10 MDT 2006

"One of  many bright moments from Rochester was sitting in on that late
night tweeking of your Steinway with you and Dale."

Sorry I missed this late night tweeking in Rochester.  I was fortunate
enough to meet the guy who put the ivories on a particular piano in the
rebuild exhibit late at night, (that is when I meet him, not when he put
them on...)
	Anyhow hotel security hadn't locked the place so there I was
plinking around on any piano I pleased so I plinked on them all. Two guys
came down the elevator and were remarking about the ivory on one of the
rebuilds.  'Ivory?' I said to my self..... I hadn't noticed.  "If this is
ivory I have to look real close". So I looked closer and sure enough it was
two piece ivory.  "This is new ivory?  Well it is the best I have ever seen
new or old!.... who did this?"   I then got introduced to the technician who
did it!  Talk about circumstance, serendipity or synchronicity but that is
what you can expect at a piano tuner's convention especially when you wander
around late at night.

	I was impressed with all the pianos, each had its special merits and
you could meet with the rebuilders and see what they are up to today.  Ron
Over's while not a rebuild I was glad to see there.  The rebuilds today tend
to feature a lot of redesign which is very interesting from the technical
point of view especially to see and hear how they actually turn out.
	 I know what I like to hear, and let me say I liked every thing I
heard in the Rebuilder's Hall in Rochester. While not the pianist I should
be if I want to be a concert technician, I think in the near future we will
hear from performing pianists very favorable comments on the Over's action.
The advantage of a curved balance lever(as in Ron's action)is beyond me.
Hopefully we will find out after he sells a thousand or more so we can hear
feed back from technicians and players around the world who come in contact
with them.

Richard Moody     www.pnotec.com

	Ps  Ron doesn't pay me to say this but if I say this and it results
in the sale of 1,000 pianos I  will send him a bill.  ---rm