Cyclone Shop Dust Control

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Sep 28 11:58:48 MDT 2006

A few of you folks asked me to report back on how my cyclone for shop dust control worked out.

I mailed four pictures of my cyclone shop dust control unit to Kent, and he will make them available later. The cyclone moves about 1,500 cubic feet per minute of air. I'm not completely done with the installation - actually, I only have my floor sweep and a portable access (where the drum sander is) working. Today was the first time I actually collected wood dust with it. Seems to work great!  I've been running some soundboard panel flitches through my drum sander.

The picture below shows the cyclone with the 5 hp Leeson motor and the two stacked paper-element 0.5 micron exhaust filters (this cyclone is supposed to be so efficient that the filters will stay clean for more than a year - we'll see - I hope so). The wood thing at the bottom is my home-made lid for a 20-gallon (or so) trash can where the dust/chips go. The green 6-inch-diameter pipe on the right goes to the dust-making machines.

I had to build a new dust collector for the drum sander so that I could run the 6-inch pipe directly to it. When I had my shop-vac collecting dust from the drum sander, it would get a lot of it, but much would blow out and about and it always had tons of dust collect on/in the drum, etc. With this flippin' tornado of a cyclone, the inside of my drum sander looks like it's never even been used it is so clean! Basically, all my machines will require some sort of custom-made dust collection unit to hook up to the 6-inch pipe. Major pain, but I think worth it in the long run.

Anyway, if you want to see a few more pictures, check out the upcoming tiny-girl link post from Kent.

Terry Farrell