Call for scaling spreadsheets

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Sep 29 07:29:29 MDT 2006

There's not really a link between inharmonicity and loudness.  Choices have
to be made (hopefully) when rescaling as to a balance between smooth
tensions, inharmonicity and loudness (Z factor).  Different
manufacturers/scalers will choose different criteria to emphasize and
different shaped curves to follow.  Perfectly smooth curves in all areas are
difficult, if not impossible, to achieve.  Small jumps between sections are
common though the goal of smooth tension, in my view, should trump other
factors.  Inharmonicity isn't something you really hear though it can,
obviously, effect how a piano tunes.  Changes in tension and overall tension
levels have a definite impact on aural perception.  I'm not sure yet about
the loudness factor.  I find inconsistencies in the numerical data and my
perceptions.  Soundboard and bridge design, of course, will interplay with
scaling for overall impact and certain perceptual details.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com