Cyclone Shop Dust Control

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Sep 29 09:21:36 MDT 2006

I don't know what the db level is, but it sounds like a muffled Boeing 747 - kinda low pitched. It's far quieter than my electric planer and router, but quite a bit louder than my drum sander and bandsaw. It's not objectionable to turn it on without hearing protection - although it's loud enough that I think it is a good idea to wear hearing protection if it is going to be running a while. I have this contraption right in the middle of my shop. Just walking around the end of my stockpile of spruce I find the sound level drops dramatically. Eventually, I want to move the unit into my garage (about ten feet the other side of the wall it is next to) and build a sound-reduced enclosure around it - that will be the kitty's tushy I think.

I talked with the guy who makes all the MDF pieces for the guy that sells these cyclones. He said that he has cut and routed MDF (and you know how much dust that makes!) all day long for six months and his paper filters are still clean (he uses the same cyclone). I find it amazing how this thing separates the dust out so effectively.

I am very impressed.

Terry Farrell