Call for scaling spreadsheets

Jason Kanter jkanter at rollingball.com
Fri Sep 29 12:57:21 MDT 2006

This aspect of acoustics is also new to me. Having spent a lot of time in
Africa, I know that elephants use very low frequencies ("rumble") to
communicate across great distances. That and other first-hand experience
indicate that the upper partials do not travel as well. Surely there is a
mathematical relationship between distance and perceived frequencies. Is
this because of friction in the air, or something about the shortness of the
wavelength? In any case, it occurs to me that perhaps there may be a kind of
doppler shift with distance -- the inharmonicity "constant" may vary with
distance (and possibly with the composition of the air -- e.g. humid air may
transmit sound differently from dry air.
Not that this would affect scale design, really. But it seems to bear on the
phenomenon of perceived inharmonicity.

Thots?

jk