Call for scaling spreadsheets

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Sep 29 15:56:58 MDT 2006

> I'm yet to understand why, but I really believe that loudness and
> projection are two different beasts.  On a piano that projects well, you
> can play softly, and will be heard clearly from far away.  I don't
> believe that the design of the lid makes the trick.  And best projecting
> pianos I know are straight strung.  And not that high tensionned (more
> like 30 to 40 % of breaking).
>
> Stéphane Collin.

I think Jason has the idea. Lower frequencies carry farther.
The bone grinding tone of high tension, rock hammered pianos
typically doesn't project as far as a less painfully loud
lower tension piano that actually has some fundamental in the
tone, and isn't all screaming high partials. At least that's
my take.

Ron N