Call for scaling spreadsheets basics

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 30 18:03:41 MDT 2006

This can be a very useful project.
I suggest beginning with a plain wire tension and inharmonicity calculator.
This introduces the basic formula which can be extended later for bass string design.
A graphing plain wire calculator can show when the problems of crossing the break cannot be solved with plain wire, and where wound strings must be introduced.
At this point you can send the measurements to Arledge or Isaacs who will do the bass scaling at no extra charge.  Change the agraffes, add some hitch pins if needed, plug, drill, notch and repin for the wound bichords and you will make a very big improvement in a short scaled piano.
You can also use the plain wire calculator to check the treble scaling, especially useful if the previous stringing was sloppily done.
If everyone restringing pianos did just this, there would be a big improvement in the quality of restringing work being delivered to the trusting public.
Designing bass strings and transition bridges comes after the plainwire.
Ed Sutton