A metallic sound from bridge pin/string?

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Sat Sep 30 18:06:15 MDT 2006

Ed, Ric, collective Overmind of the list,

Thanks for the well thought out post.  It is indeed the left string.  I have been looking for an excuse to get a real downbearing gauge, and now I guess I have it (instead of the rocker gauge....).

Things I've done:

Needled lightly at the crown along the string groove
seated all termination points
lifted and levelled
seated
seated
seated again...

The thing that makes me think its the pin or something at that termination is that when I seat the string at that point, the sound goes away--for awhile.  So my thinking is that no matter how much I push the string down, it's popping right back into place.  Downbearing popped to mind.  I considered that overzealous planing may have occurred.  I'll try the shim.  Maple veneer, perhaps?

It's an afterwhine/zing.  It sounds like a sympathetic vibration from something else, but it's not there with either or both of the other two strings of the unison.

Descriptions are fairly useless, I realize.  Recording it will be difficult, but I may try it if I can't solve the problem to the customer's satisfaction.

Thanks again,

Dave Stahl