Steinway B Scale Conversion

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Apr 1 17:10:56 MDT 2007

Hi Dale

I think you are correct in that neither you or David... or for that
matter throw in Ron and David Andersen and a couple more could at this
point generate enough counter-inertia to force a change in corporate
manufacturing... but who knows... stranger things have happened.  And I
am glad you dont care or find this objectionable for exactly the same
reasons you state.

The "subjective" by definition on the other hand can not be a matter of
"better" or "worse" ... only what we / they / I / you /   like more or
less at any given time..... which also to my mind fits right in with the
exciting new and innovative directions some rebuilders / builders are
taking.  Its the stuff the dynamics of our trade is made of.  Presented
in a positive enough and market wise smart enough fashion... if the
resulting sounds created find a tone with enough of the buying public...
then a paradigm shift is just around the corner.  And if not...well
hey... so what ?  You all know you are making fine and wonderful
sounding products that many musicians and listeners will have years of
pleasure from... and thats the main thing.

I guess I get hung up in this need to keep the subjective in its place
because of a perception I have about comparisons in general.  I dont
like to compare my work to others.... and I simply cant deal with the
idea of saying to anyone  "I am better" or "my way is better"..... even
in cases where I know there can be no doubt.  I have my hands full every
day comparing todays work with yesterdays... my own work... todays
knowhow with yesterdays.   Every second I spend comparing myself to
somone else is time used doing something counterproductive in the first
place and doing something other then getting farther down my own road in
the second place.   And when on top of it all I know the market is so
darned fickle anyways.... exactly because of all the subjectiveness,
magic, psychology,...  all things not objective... well... it seems like
there are better things to do then concern myself overly with these.
Said another way,  I <<compete>> with others as little as I possibly can
get away with and as much with myself as I can possibly get myself to
do.  Seems to work well.

Cheers
RicB

    Ric
      Even if all my clients do like it & alll David's  clients it will not
    change corporate manufacturing one iota & I don't  care if it does,
    because then we
    wouldn't be offering anything different, new or  exciting.  You Know?
     But somewhere subjective becomes more better than  something else
    otherwise
    we wouldn't tune or voice or breathe cause it would be  .......well
    subjective.
     BTW , I respect dispassionate.
     Dale

        I do not
        buy Davids or Dales claim that it makes a qualitative
        /improvement/
        because that is purely a matter of subjective taste... period.
        It  makes
        a qualitative /change/ that some may like and some will not.
        And if
        enough do like it.. then it will make an impact that will cause
        a  change
        in the industry. If not... well then it wont.  Dispassionate  as
        hell...
        but the bloody truth of the  matter.

        Cheers
        RicB