SV: Re: SV: Re: Steinway B Scale Conversion

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Apr 2 13:56:38 MDT 2007

Aras
  Where are you  located?

Dale,

Wounded or wrapped - the same.
No, it shall be changed  to two-chords and yes on the original bridge and the
result will probably be  better by changing the whole scale.
  Got it.

The reason that I personally would try this first, is that the  change of the
bridge is a dramatic change, though natural, but it could cause  a fall in
the economic value of the instrument if the customer later wants to  sell it.
Not because of of a bad repair or bad sound, but simply because it is  not
original, and if only the string scale is changed, it will not be that  hard to
change the piano back.
  Yes this is a consideration but that is why I didn't cut  the bridge end
off.

I agree that the B-scale is problematic. It is old fashioned  and
theoretically, looking at the scale construction this piano should sound  really bad -
like the bee who is not supposed to be able to fly  (theoretically). But I like
it anyway with a good set of hammers and nice  voicing. There must be good
reasons why so many pianists worldwide  like this piano.
  Indeed!

I will not talk about tone quality as it is like talking with  blind people
about colours,
  This I understand.  It's difficult enough to   talk tone color with words
even in person....but we try any  way.
  Dale

and as I  said I do like the S&S B as it is, but I would really like to hear
your  the piano with the new bridge.
  Always open by appointment

Best regards Aras.