Steinway B Scale Conversion

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Apr 2 19:01:19 MDT 2007

> I am interested to know where you got your list of breaking strains
> which differs so greatly from mine and Paulello's.

One from Mapes, and one from Roslau, neither of which you will
find credible, as you have already indicated.

For scaling work, I use Al Sanderson's generic formula of
Tension/(2528*diameter(inches)^2), which corresponds
reasonably well with the Roslau numbers. I keep core tensions
under 55% by this formula. For your #21 core example, your 70%
limit would be 283lbs by your tensile strength number, while
my 55% by Sanderson's formula would be 307lbs. That would be
76% by your figures, while your 70% would be 51% by mine. Not
that far apart. The point is to retain a reasonable safety
factor, whatever the numbers used.

There are a number of commercial scales, including Yamaha and
NY Steinway, having core tensions well above 60%, and in cases
above 70% by Sanderson's formula, and showing little to no
tendency to self destruct.

For what it's worth,
Ron N