bluthner grand ca:1913

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Tue Apr 3 08:11:07 MDT 2007

  Richard,

 Those are rocker capstans. They can get noisy if not adjusted properly, and probably are noisier than modern actions even if the ARE adjusted correctly.

 I have one that I work on, and it's quirky, but the tone is sweet despite its advanced age.

 Before I got the information on regulation of these actions, I was trying to set blow distance as on a regular grand--lifting them a couple of mm off the "rebound" rail. Turns out, the rebound rail is rest rail. I ended up with notes not functioning all over the place until I set the shanks back on the rail.

 Kind of cool pianos, imho. You can't expect the performance level of a modern action, but within their limitations, they are very musical.
    Dave Stahl, RPT

 Dave Stahl Piano Service
 650-224-3560
 dstahlpiano at sbcglobal.net
 http://dstahlpiano.net/

 -----Original Message-----From: richard.ucci at att.netTo: pianotech at ptg.org
  Sent: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 5:34 AM
 Subject: Re: bluthner grand ca:1913

   Well, sort of, wood pieces on top of keys with springs on them.
 -------------- Original message from "Farrell" <mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com>: --------------

 Grand piano with a birdcage action?   Terry Farrell  ----- Original Message -----    Anyone interested? It's about 6' and needs everything.Birdcage action, aliquot bridge in treble with fourth string, single strung ,nice ivory keys.Owner will consider any offer. Located in South Jersey. Thanks, Rick Ucci/Ucci Piano