untunable [Young Chang] G-150

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Tue Apr 3 10:04:36 MDT 2007

In a message dated 3/10/2007, donmannino at ca.rr.com writes:

Yes, as I recall there are two zinc string rests in some pianos.  One under
the capo, and one as the counter bearing.  They are unpainted metal, but are
not as shiny as the usual chrome rear aliquot bars.

DM

At 10:04 AM 3/10/2007, you wrote:

>>Some YC grands from around 1993-4 had a stepped zinc insert that was
extremely sticky.  These were only in production for less than a year
because they were horrible to tune even when brand new.<<

What do you do if you find one of these? Also, can these, or any other insert
used by YC, contribute to string breakage? I am about to restring a model
213, serial G099xxx, which eats treble wire. I don't find it hard to tune, so it
might be later than the zinc.

The tensions are very reasonable. I have told the client that it is the
rock-hard, unvoiced Renner hammers (which we will also be replacing) powered by her
heavy hands that are the culprit, but I don't want to leave any stone
unturned.

Thanks,
Bob Davis