SV: RE: Re: Steinway B Scale Conversion

Aras aras6310 at yahoo.se
Tue Apr 3 10:13:28 MDT 2007

David,

In this particular piano the whole scale were changed.
If I should smooth out just the bass/tenor part and keep the steel strings as they are, I would change the whole bass in another way.
Anyway, it is not easy to talk about this. It all ends up in what we are hearing.
If those who are into this scale posting were gathered around some grands we could start talking about what we find good or bad.

David Love <davidlovepianos at comcast.net> skrev:                 The other issue is that the changes made, that we were talking about originally, were to blend the bass better with the tenor.  That actually required a slight lowering of the tensions.  Whether this would break strings or not (not to mention the increased load on the plate) it seems that problem of blending would be exacerbated.  With such high tensions, I also wonder what would happen to the balance of partials in this section.  It would seem that it would produce an even more weakened fundamental and quite powerful upper partials—even more so than the original.  Not something I would aim for personally.

    David Love
 davidlovepianos at comcast.net
 www.davidlovepianos.com