Sic transit.... looking backwards and forwards

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Apr 4 05:36:38 MDT 2007

At 3:15 am +0100 4/4/07, David Boyce wrote:

>...It would certainly make sense if it was earlier, because I was
>very surprised when I first looked up the date. Before I looked, I
>had suggested to the owner 1870s, and then I had to correct this in
>some surprise.  If you do get time, I'd be interested in what your
>friend says.

Well, it seems I'm mistaken and that Erard did indeed continue
production of the old-style steel-barred straight strung well into
the 20th century and the date of 1901 is quite likely.  I've spoken
to David Winston, for whom I have made dozens of Erard bass sets and
who knows the Erard very well, and it seems that although by 1901
they were producing overstrungs with cast-iron frames, they continued
also to manufacture the style of piano which had made them famous.

On another detail, you mention  "a bronze (or brass?) capo d'astro
bar with blued steel screws".  If you look at this carefully you'll
find this is not what it appears to be -- it is not actually the
front bridge as it were the cast-in bridge on a Steinway etc. or the
separate bridge bar on the Bšsendorfer, but rather what is called the
"harmonic bar" ("barre harmonique").  Kirkman used the same
arrangement on early low-tension grands about 1860 and you can see
picures of this bar at <http://pianomaker.co.uk/kirkman12521/>.  The
bridge itself consists of studs (or "agraffes") and the harmonic bar
serves only to provide solidity and mass to the structure, the screws
bearing down on a brass plate that fits closely round the studs.
Kirkman, a very forward-looking maker, gave up this system when they
graduated to a cast-iron hitch-plate with steel bars and modern
tensions about 1865 for the 6'9" model, and to a full cast-iron frame
for the 6' model.

>  John, I think I owe you for a string!  I have a feeling I had one
>from you just as you were going into hospital.  Are you back in
>production? I hope you're well?  I always show off the beauty of
>your strings to the customer before I fit them.

You are most kind!  Accounting is not my strongest suit! but yes I am
back in production after last year's operations and as well as ever
with a new workshop coming into service next month if all goes well
and much exciting work going on besides the string-making.

JD